26 May 2011

My Secret Antique Crushes

It's no secret that I am chomping at the bit for Saturday and the Christie Antique show to arrive (which in my opinion is not turning up nearly fast enough!) and as a result have got Antique Fever on the brain.  It is, quite literally, all I can think about, and foremost in my thoughts is the idea of just how much time I will get to spend that day with my secret antique crushes.

We all have them, I
hope think: those pieces large or small that suck us in every time and make us wish we had one (or twenty).  The items that we're drawn to time and time again - the ones our eyes find even when we're not looking for them, and our feet make a beeline to before we can develop even one rational thought.  It's not like I seek these pieces out ... I swear to you that they find me.  And, naturally, they beg me to bring them home with me (notwithstanding that I have no real use for them, nor any space to put them!).  I wouldn't classify myself as a "collector" in any way but these, well ... they are at the root of most of my impulse-purchase inclinations, and I suspect that these will be the items that my kids will roll their eyes at and laugh about when it's time to dispense with my estate and sell off, give away or otherwise re-home a few dozen of each.
 
Like I said, we all have them, right?


Here are a few of mine (just in case you'd like to stage an intervention or do some shopping in my future storage room!):

Barrister's Bookcases

<h4>This great bookcase would fit almost anywhere you need to display and store books and bric-a-brac!</h4>
via here
via here



Singer Sewing Machines

via here
via here


Church Pews
(yes, seriously)

via here
via here


Teak Credenzas
(the old saying is true ... you CAN have too many of these)
 
via here


Books of Any Kind
(old that is ... not generally valuable)


via here
via here

So there you have it: an excellent sampling of the antiques I'm crushing on.  I'm not ashamed to admit I scout the online sale sites for antiques like pre-teen girls used to eat up a Teen Beat magazine: taking in every detail - every eyelash wood knot and smile line dust cover - with my heart thumping in my chest from excitement.  And if year's passed are any indication, the 29th will feel like I'm 13 years old again at a New Kids on the Block concert:
 
Bring on the cute boys antiques!