13 May 2011

Where Does the Time Go?!

One minute I'm posting about lunch and a fab new restaurant (again, new to me, not to Toronto), and the next minute it's a week later, and I realize I haven't posted a single thing in all that time!  Makes a mockery of my commitment to post all - the - time, is what is does.  Sheesh.

What I've been up to (if you're wondering) is a new continuing education class through
George Brown College.  Further to my love of all things interior, I made the decision several months ago to embark on a new scholastic enterprise: namely, the Interior Decorating certificate via GBC.  Last night I completed my third class of my very first course, and is it too soon to say I love it?  I thought not.


I LOVE IT.


My reasons for opting to take an elective course first are threefold:
  1. I work currently in finance and while banking is many things, it is not generally a very "creative" field.  I wanted to get my feet wet in something that stimulated my senses before tackling harder subjects that involve more dry material, like math and whatnot
      
  2. I'm a history nerd, and I'm pretty sure the love I'm developing for the art world will be everlasting, so a course called "Art History for Interior Decorators" just sang to me
      
  3. It was available on the day I needed it to be, and fit in with my (and hubby's, and kids') schedule
Magical.  And true to form, I have jumped in with both feet and am spending all of my free time (and some of my time dedicated elsewhere!) to thinking about it constantly.  Even just being three weeks in, I'm looking differently at the world of art - including my own small collection.  But how can you not completely immerse yourself in an activity that requires you to study images like this:

"The Annunciation and Two Saints" by Simone Martini via All Art

and this

"The Garden of Earthly Delights" by Hieronymus Bosch via Ad Logo Mosaic

and this

"Galaxy" by Jackson Pollock via Charlie Babbage

AND this

"Girl with a Pearl Earring" by Jan Vermeer via Artinthepicture.com

and THIS

Untitled by Georgia O'Keefe via Simply Art

I of course will keep you updated as to my progress, and of any interesting tidbits that arise over the course of program.  And if you have any favourites to share with me - either artists or works - I'd love to hear about them!