09 June 2011

If Designwali and The Iron Chef Had a Baby ....

Are you saying to yourself right now: What the @#$%*! is she talking about?  I'm getting there but first, are you curious?

Thought so!


So let me dial back a bit, first with some explanations:


Designwali
= Corporate citizen by day and Interior Designer by night, this caped draped crusader has an amazing eye for design (a paisley thumb?) which she shares via her fabulous blog that I check in with (and inhale) nearly every day.

Iron Chef America
= Based on the Japanese cult sensation "Iron Chef", Iron Chef America carries on the legend of Kitchen Stadium and the famed "secret ingredient".  Each week, world-class chefs battle the seven legendary Iron Chefs of America to a bloody tasty finish.

Now the context:

  1. Designwali features an amazing segment (that I *LOVE*) called "If This Saree Was a Room," examples of which can be found here, here and here.  I love this concept for its innate creativity, and for the sheer number of hours it must take to scour the net for images for each post.  That kind of commitment to a concept is more than admirable: as one who spends a great deal of time online - some of it productive but, honestly, most of it not - I can easily imagine and am very respectful of this depth of effort.  Also, you just can't argue with such great and inspiring results!
      
  2. Iron Chef America never fails to delight and entertain our entire family.  For reasons I have yet to fully understand, my 13-year-old started watching it first and it wasn't long before the rest of us were sucked in along with him.  I never cease to be amazed at the incredibly complicated, decadent and just fabulous dishes that come out of Kitchen Stadium.  I mean, yesterday I watched some guy make a chicken liver and maple syrup custard.  Totally gross, right?  But I would totally eat it: it looked amazing!  So as one who appreciates good food and great talent, Iron Chef America is a firm fixture on my dial and in my heart.  It also prompted one of my favourite posts so far: Flavors of Summer (did I mention I'm a big food fan?).  So ... Mindless television?  Yes.  Totally enjoyable and inspirational?  Absolutely yes.
     
  3. In my commitment to make my blog (in the immortal words of Barney Stinson, HIMYM) "a thing," I'm absorbing all of the elements I love about other blogs and information outlets that could be intuitively adapted here.  I've decided that specific features are just the ticket for me: I'm a schedule girl and I like a lot of consistency in my life.  I'm happiest when I can book something on my calendar and commit to it in pen.  To that end, I've decided to make my Top 10 list a monthly feature (check back here on Tuesday for the June edition!), as well the Inspiration Galleries, which will publish every three weeks.  And since I assume that I'm not alone in the world in my enjoyment of a schedule, I'm also guessing that the best way to build and sustain relationships with friends and readers ("romance" you, as it were) is to keep it interesting, keep it real and keep it consistent.  Marrying my love of planning with my love of Iron Chef America/food and my favourite Designwali "Saree" feature, I've come up with this little nugget:
~ DESIGN THIS DISH ~

Sounds weird, right, but the basic premise is this: each month I will dedicate a post to featuring a series of amazing recipes (with fab photos, of course) to tantalize your tastebuds.  Each dish will then be translated to a decorated and designed interior.  My hope is to take you on a gastronomic and design tour, engaging not just your eyes and your design sense, but also your stomach.  Best of all, the new feature starts ... now!  Check out the next post for some great recipes and decor ideas!