03 June 2011

This Old Town ...

As anyone who has ever spent their entire life in one place moving in the same circles day after day can attest, sometimes it's a little hard seeing the "forest for trees".  In other words, when you see the same thing day-in and day-out, you forget to notice that thing at all.

I was born in Milton and raised here, and have spent the majority of my life here (excluding my time at university and the five years we lived on the Danforth in Toronto).  Nearly every day I feel like it's just the best place to call home, but it's so much an integrated part of me that I rarely see it: like the freckles on my arm or the beauty spot below my lip, Milton just fades into the background of my regular life.


Today, though, I had an appointment at Town Hall and decided that rather than taking the car as I would usually do, I would appreciate the fine weather and walk instead.  I also decided to take Chloe with me, so we could both get our exercise in the sunshine.  Dog treats and camera in hand, we took off on foot to our mid-town destination and
had the most delightful time!  These are all the lovely things we noticed while out and about ...


... my favourite house ...



... some Spring Fling-yness ...

Remember, Martin Street Parents: Spring Fling happens tomorrow!

... no "For Sale" sign ...

This house has been on the market forever, but maybe it finally sold?

... pretty-in-pink hydrangeas ...



... our lovely and historic Town Hall ...


and let's not forget Hugh Foster Hall



... the Town Hall courtyard where in a past life I wanted my wedding ...






... happy dog in the courtyard ...



... St. Paul's Anglican Church, where they're still tending a beautiful garden despite the fact that it's going to be demolished soon (so sad) ...


... community pride and commitment to our heritage ...

I support this cause

... flags fluttering in the breeze ...



... flowers against a white picket fence ...



... a bush with so many white blossoms it looked snow-covered (it smelled delicious too) ...



... an awesome horse statue that's been there forever ...



... nature dog! ...



... the type of lilac bushes (not trees, bushes!) that I want in my yard ...



... a view from the bridge ...



... the trail ...



... the rapids ...

I remember waaaay back when I used to splash around in these!

... love notes ...



... sun-dappled everything ....



... having the best time ....



... woodland art ...




... 'shrooms ...



... the perfect place to daydream ...



... the perfect place to feed the geese ...



... caterpillar nests ...


and caterpillars



... tea for two ...



... laundry floating on the line ...



... wild flowers (forget-me-nots) to play in ...



... a fort ...



... a little bridge leading to a neighbor's yard ...

Immediately after taking this photo, Chloe made a break for it and took a few minutes coaxing
to come back, thus ending her reign of leash-free walking ....

... freeze-dried bribery ...



... friends ...



... the 'hood ...

See that little orange car in the distance?  That's my car: Dexter.  He rocks.

and finally, after so much "good times" we have ...

... tired puppy ...



Beautiful, isn't it?  I'm so lucky to live here.

This weekend I will be starting my second class at George Brown that runs all day every Saturday.  I will miss the good times at Springridge Farm with my kids and my nieces AND the Martin Street Spring Fling, as well as the Farmer's Market and, later in the day, the street fair (!) but all for a good cause.  Career in Interior Decorating, here I come!


And yes, we Miltonians
DO like to pack in the fun!  Wherever you are, though, and whatever you plan to do this weekend, I wish you a great one!