15 December 2011

Eireann Go Braugh!

I have a huge appetite for shelter magazine and I read them voraciously, but I'll admit that sometimes I get a wee bit exasperated with the interviews.  I suppose there are a finite number of questions in the universe that pertain to interior decorating and design, so it's understandable that journalists tend to ask the same thing over and over of new subjects:
    What was your inspiration?
          What makes this project unique?
               What made you a good fit for your clients?

The one that I always find most interesting, though, is this one:

     Who are your design/style icons?

Say what?
  Every time I come across this question in an interview, it makes me feel a little uncomfortable and, to be honest, a little fraudulent.  After all, I intend to make interior decorating a major - if not THE major - component of my next career, and yet I couldn't tell the difference between a Billy Baldwin or Dorothy Draper design if you paid me.  I have no icons of my own ... until today!!

In researching this month's
Design This Dish, I came across a ton of designs by Kathryn Ireland and I loved ALL OF THEM.  Now, of course I'm aware of who she is ~ I've seen her work profiled in several magazines and yes, I've watched an episode or two or Million Dollar Decorators ~ but until I started my research, I didn't realize just how much I truly admired (and coveted!) her designs.  But I'll let you be the judge; could you live here?

via here
via here
via here
via here
via here
via here
via here
via here
via here
via here
via here
My first design hero
via here

Who else has favourite designers out there, whose work influences choices in your own home, or who inspire your work (if you decorate professionally)?  How did you come across their work and what is it about your style icons that speaks to you?