04 January 2012

Main Bathroom Update: She's ~ A ~ Painted!!


Ta-Daaa!!!!


The bathroom door and trim is finally (FINALLY!) painted.  It's only taken just shy of sixteen months, a half-litre of paint and some (not even much) effort on my part, and it's finally finished.  And I'm not going to lie to you: it looks good.


Naturally I completely forgot to take any sort of comprehensive "before" photos ~ I only had sixteen months, after all ~ but here's an "in-progress" snapshot that I think does a fair job of illustrating the difference between the just-primed trim and the beautiful new paint:




Now the whole thing looks as pretty and clean and fresh as the trim on the right-hand side.  It's amazing how long you can live with something and never fully realize how unattractive it is until you replace it with something pretty.  Now I can't believe it took me even sixteen days to finish painting, let alone that many months!!  I am shamed ...


Anyway, we let the paint cure for several days before we re-attached the door handle (to avoid the whole "doorknob fused to the door via the paint" issue), but I finally was able to install it yesterday.  As you can see, however, there's still some more work to do in the form of scraping.  My painter's tape apparently wasn't fully up to the task of preventing leakage around the mirror, and I ended up with a ton of bleeding.  Grrrrr ....




So that needs to be addressed soon but for today I'm just going to be zen about it.  I'm letting it go.  I'll deal with it tomorrow.


While we were hanging around in the bathroom anyway, we decided to tackle a couple more bullet points on the To Do list but replacing the fan timer (the original one installed by our contractor crapped out after just a few months; yet another example of the "fine" workmanship) and by pulling the old switcheroo on the shower curtains.  The blue spring version is on its way to the dry-cleaner and the grey version is up!  In case you've forgotten, this is what the winter curtain looks like:




And for those of you keeping score at home, here's where we're at on the checklist:

Bathroom -
  • paint door (this is how bad it is over here, folks: this door has been waiting for paint for over a year ... it's just sad)
  • frame and hang artwork (I finally found some! Thank you, Christie Antique Show, September 2011)
  • change shower curtain for the winter season
  • install door hooks
  • replace fan timer
So now we're just waiting on the hooks, which I hope to have mounted by the end of this week, and the artwork, and this bad boy will be done!!!  Updates to follow ...