20 January 2012

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Or: How all my kitchen dreams came crashing down (for now) when I picked up the mail today

I picked up the mail today and in it was a big fat manila envelope from my favourite fabric folks, Tonic Living.  Yay!  I mentioned on Wednesday that I had ordered a swatch of the quite-possibly-absolutely-perfect fabric that I was thinking of using for the roman blind kitchen and as the jumping-off point for the whole rest of the scheme, and it was finally here (and I say "finally" in that sort of exaggerated/exasperated/excited way, but full disclosure: it was actually a really quick turnaround.  Like, super-quick. It just seemed like forever because I was super excited and therefore impatient).  I didn't even wait until I was fully inside the house before I ripped it open and there it was in all its glory.

Except its glory is BROWN.  Not grey, like I thought it was and as it appeared on my computer monitor.  No, not grey at all.  Brown.  Brown, brown, brown!!!  And, it goes without saying, all wrong for the kitchen.

Say it with me now: NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

True story, just look at it:


Now look a little closer:


OK, it's probably still looking a little grey but trust me, it's all-out brown, peeps.  I'm so sad.  It's definitely a gorgeous fabric and I stand by my claim that it would make a gor-gee-ous roman blind, but it would be someone else's kitchen, not mine.  Despite my absolute confidence that this is THE fabric, it's actually not. *sigh*

So it's back to the drawing board for me, and if you happen to stumble across a sort of modern-floral print that combines grey, red, yellow, orange and/or deep purple, give me a holler.  I'll take all the sourcing help I can get.

In other news, I'll be spending my weekend reading one of the five new books I picked up at Recycled Reading in Milton; it's an awesome little shop chock-full of pre-loved books of every vintage and variety.  Today's haul includes some literature, both Canadian (which I'm a huge fan of) and otherwise, and some slasher thriller novels (which together with dill pickle chips are my guiltiest pleasure).  I'd like to say I'm cracking the Can-Lit first but I'd be lying: the murder mystery is first on the docket!

Have a great weekend!