07 May 2012

The Gratitude Project: An Update

Way back when at the turn of the new year, I mentioned my project for 2012: chronicling all the blessings in my life, one day at a time. As I said at the time, too often I find myself bogged down in the negative and mundane, and too often I was missing all the small, nuanced, wonderful moments of my life.

I decided, instead, to make a commitment to notice all those unnoticed blessings, and that 2012 would be the year of my unending gratitude. And after four months, I thought you might be interested in an update on the project.

In brief, it's going very well! It took quite a bit of time to fall into the habit of recording those blessings on a daily basis: often in the beginning I would forget for a day or two and have to force myself to sit back and reflect on the few days previous in order to mine the gold from each day. By March, however, it had become a habit, and now I look forward each night to those few moments sitting quietly and reviewing the events of the day; finding that one bright spot (often among many) that stood out as being particularly sweet or satisfying or delightful. And though I won't give away the entire show until December 31st of this year ~ when all 365 blessings are accounted for ~ here's a sneak peek of some of the wonders of my life, one day at a time ...

365 Blessings
January
01       Time spent with family (on the couch, in our pyjamas, watching movies) is time well shared
18       My eldest, who made me a grown up and us a family ~ happy birthday, “Little” Kilf
19      “Girl’s” lunches with my best girl
February
01      Spontaneous afternoon naps
05      Reading a novel start to finish in one day
March
07      Fleece blankets
11      Reconnecting with family, and laughing until we cramp up
25      Free tea and donuts! (courtesy of ‘roll up the rim’)
 
April
13      Playing dress-up with the little one to get her ready for “Super Hero Day” at school
15      Finding the humour in things going all wrong
25      Lights that need replacing are standard size, rather than custom
May
03      Energy. And clarity
06      The smell of freshly mown grass drifting in through open windows
What are you grateful for?