11 May 2012

Happy Mother's Day, Peeps!

Mother's Day is traditionally a pretty laid-back affair around our house and this year is shaping up to be no different, which is exactly the way I like it. Our weekend (because I do flog the mama's day holiday for an ENTIRE weekend) will consist of a movie tonight with the little one and her BFF ~ hopefully with screaming tons of buttery popcorn ~ a family wedding tomorrow afternoon and barbecue in the evening, and finally a nice long sleep-in on Sunday followed by a long walk around the conservation area with the kids and dog, and a homey, homemade mac'n'cheese dinner. Like I said, pretty low key.

And our break from tradition doesn't just extend to holiday activities. While most moms are looking forward to receiving a bunch of these ...

{ via }

... or one or two pieces of this ...

La Coco Rope Necklace in turquoise, by Stella & Dot

... maybe a bit of this ...

{ via }


... and of course, who can forget the most eponymous Mother's Day gift ...

{ via }

All of these gifts are lovely (and I wouldn't say no to that necklace, were it to show up in a gift box) but they're not for me. Nope, I'm more of a THIS gift kind of girl:

{ via }

If you've never heard of Jenny Lawson (aka The Bloggess) or read her amazing, spectacular, hilarious and deeply honest and personal blog, you definitely should. The Bloggess is a major force in the blogging world and, by extension, on Twitter too (earlier this year her personal plea to Simon Pegg for a photo of him holding twine ~ it's a long story ~ started a WORLDWIDE trend. It was awesome, and I was happy to be teeny tiny part of the global ridiculousness). I was first introduced to her by accident through someone else's link to her post about Beyonce the giant metal chicken, and I've never looked back. This woman literally makes me cry, laughing (and not just a little teary, either. I'm not ashamed to say I do the ugly cry-laugh every time). Seriously, the woman is my hero and I don't say that lightly.

Most recently, Jenny's genius has been distilled into her "mostly true" memoir and I am desperate to read it. If it's even half as funny as her blog, I will have full blown laugh-snorts and a stomach stitch going on within five minutes of cracking the cover. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my peeps are on their way to the book store today to pick up my very own copy; you'll know if it happened because you'll hear me squealing "AIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" in excitement halfway across the country. That's a true story: I'm pretty loud. And also I'll totally blog about it on Monday.

So to all my fellow moms out there, I wish you a very happy Mama's Day weekend. I hope your day is filled with love from all the special people in your life. And be sure to check out Louise's celebration of our big day in her Coffee, Tea, a Drink ... or Three? post. She's having a little tea party and yours truly is included!


Til Monday, y'all!