03 January 2013

Introducing The NEW Money Pit

Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away, I gave you a sneak peek of the new house. Just a few photos, to whet your appetite, but nothing too revealing... the way a first date should be!

But now that we're committed (we've "put a ring on it," so to speak) and the dust is starting to settle, I think it's time to show a little leg, don't you?

So without further ado, let me present...


The NEW Money Pit

Exterior
Entrance | Foyer
Powder Room
I've got big plans for this teeny tiny little room, and it involves a lot of wallpaper...
Dining Room
I'm not going to lie to you... it's a weird layout. The hall opens directly into the dining room which, as you can see, is connected to every other room. It's *almost* a through-way, but still feels like a room too. It is by far the most difficult room to plan in terms of decorating. The only thing I know for sure is that I want/need a round table, and that I want to paint that tray ceiling in black chalkboard paint. Getting a little resistance from my better half on that second one.
Media Room
The previous owners used this room as their dining room (because they couldn't figure out the whole hallway/dining room situation either) but we've turned it into our media room. It works exactly like I imagined. It's perfect.
Kitchen
Kitchen
See that island? I love it. LOVE IT. I've never had an island before, let alone one that seats 25 (6, but who's counting?!) And that stove you see in the back, there? Yeah, that's totally gas. BOO-YA! I win.
Living Room
Also? My very first fireplace. I've been pining for one since I was twelve years old, and now I have one. It's every bit as good as I thought it would be. My gas bill is going to be ENORMOUS this winter.
J's Room
We're upstairs now. J's room is at the very front of the house ~ his are the three windows beneath the black cupola. It's the smallest bedroom of four, but he chose it because it's the only one that has 10-foot ceiling and HUGE windows. He's a natural-light junkie. 
A's Room
Next door to J, hers takes up the remainder of the front half. If you check out the 'Exterior' photo, the other four windows belong to her. Three in her bedroom (as pictured) and one in her....
ENSUITE!
Did I mention she's just turning 10? Possibly the luckiest 10-year-old in the freaking galaxy.
The "Family" Bath
Which really means "J's Bath" because everyone else basically has their own. Not even kidding right now.
Mum's/Matt's Room
So this is the fourth bedroom, which is currently being used by my mum until we renovate the basement. Once her apartment is built, this will be my brother's room when he's home from university. Eventually, when no one else needs it, it will be an exercise-room-slash-man-cave for Daryn. Eventually.
Master Bedroom
Master Bedroom
Dudes, it's huge. H-U-G-E. It's borderline ridiculous.
Master Bath
Master Bath
That shower. 'Nuff said.
The Basement
All the way back downstairs now, this is the sort-of-just-a-little-bit finished basement, with a lot more work to go until it's ready to be inhabited. Right now it's full of boxes, but you can see the appeal. Three huge windows, tons of space and a walkout. Perfect for an in-law suite. Now we just need to git'er done!
Exterior
Out the back door, and you can see why we stand out a little on the street. We're the only ones with bright red siding in the entire neighborhood. I hated it at first, but now it's growing on me. Mould again? I won't say no.


And that's the Money Pit in a nutshell! I've kept photos of one room behind -- the landing / office -- for a very good reason: we're in the process of decorating it right now! I will be working from home more in the new year, which I decided was the perfect excuse reason to spend some time, energy and dineros on making it picture-perfect. Much of next week will be focused on the office transformation, with some special focus on all the awesome things I'm finding on Craigslist and Kijiji.

 
Note: All photos are courtesy of Century 21 People's Choice Realty Inc.