10 January 2013

Office "Pin"spiration

I think it's fair to say that I've been very honest about my obsession with Pinterest. I don't know why you wouldn't believe me but if you don't, I have proof. I plainly said it here, and it's totally obvious here. And if that doesn't convince you, go ahead and check out my profile and you'll just see how much time I waste over there. That is, LOTS.

So it was only natural that when I started thinking about the task of decorating my very own office, I immediately turned it into a pinny party and fired up the search engine. Where better to find my perfect office than Pinterest, home to all things glam and gorgeous?

It turned out to be an incredibly helpful exercise, too, which surprised me. At the heart of things I just love looking at beautiful photos of beautiful spaces, but when I looked back again at my Home Office inspiration board, a few commonalities jumped off the page at me:

  1. I'm a linear thinker. Nearly every photo I pinned featured boxy, linear bookshelves in a major way. Most were crammed full with books, office supplies, binders... even artwork... all neatly lined up and orderly like someone was taking attendance.
  2. Home is where my books are. All my favourite spaces look like libraries.
  3. Light and bright is where it's at. Specifically, it seems I'm a sucker for huge windows, but a lick of white paint will do too. 
  4. I clearly have a "type". Where I thought I was pinning a bevvy of photos that dramatically differed from one another, it turns out they all look exactly the same. With a few variations here and there. But still... basically identical. Which is good news! It means I know what I like.
They seem so obvious when I think about it -- all four couldn't be more true about me -- but I'm not sure I would have been able to distill it so simply were it not for my Pinterest therapy session. Here are just a few of  my faves.








1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7


Is there something you absolutely need to have in your home office to make it a comfortable or homey or productive environment? Link up to images of your own offices in the 'comments' section... I'd love to see them!