08 July 2013

House Stalking | Mike D

It always surprises me in celebrity home features when a house actually looks lived in or that it could be an extension of the home owner's personality. I sort of assume that so many celebrities move around so much (travelling for work and pleasure, buying and selling real estate, owning multiple properties), it's sort of impossible to put their personal stamp on a place. I also assume that most celebrities pay an interior designer to put together a "look" for them: as with faces and hair, so too with houses? It makes sense.

Anyway, every now and then I come across a house that looks personal, like the celebrity really lives there. And I fall in love with it just a little bit.

Take (retired?) rapper Mike D, of Beastie Boys fame. The New York Times recently published an article and slideshow tour of the Brooklyn, NY town home he shares with his wife, Tamra Davis, and their two boys, and it is STUNNING. There is nothing about this house I wouldn't immediately import into my own home (or better yet, just bunk in with them and enjoy!)

There are a million details to swoon over in this house. The highlights for me are the dark-and-dramatic chalkboard powder room, the mad-for-plaid home theatre/rec room and that heart-stoppingly-simple-but-gorgeous kitchen. Marble island? Gilt metal hanging shelf? Oiled flat-front cabinets? Sha-ZAM! I'm in love.







Click through to read the article and enjoy the whole tour. It's worth the visit.


Photos by Trevor Tondro for The New York Times