29 April 2014

Foodie Tuesday | Zesty Black Bean Soup

So... soup. My total fave, right? I could literally eat soup morning, noon and night, every day. That's not even an exaggeration: if it's served in a bowl and I can, in a pinch, drink my dinner, I'm all over it like white on rice.

(I'm realizing now the phrase "drink my dinner" sort of makes it sound like I have a problem. Which I do, if that problem is "soup obsession." Otherwise, no. I'm fine. Cancel the intervention.)

I also have a documented thing for Mexican flavours. Next to Thai, Mexican is my very favourite food culture. I could eat Mex all day, every day (when not eating Thai, of course.)

And, my third favourite: it's EASY. It's totes easy, actually; so easy that 'easy' doesn't even describe it. It's like easy-like-Sunday-morning easy, which is real, real easy.

It's possible Lionel Richie took inspiration for his hit song from this very soup. It's that good.



ZESTY BLACK BEAN SOUP
Preparation: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 45 minutes | Serves: 6
    
Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 tbsp. minced garlic
  • 2 cups onion, diced (roughly 1 1/2 Spanish onions)
  • 3 chicken bouillon cubes (I use Knorr)
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 cups chunky salsa (whatever brand/heat you like; we use Old El Paso Medium)
  • 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
  • 3 (19 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 tbsp. cumin
       
  • sour cream, fresh lime juice & chopped cilantro to garnish
             
Cooking Directions:
  1. In a large, thick-bottomed soup pot, heat olive oil over high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent (5-7 minutes), stirring frequently.
      
  2. Add chicken bouillon cubes and water. Stir until bouillon cubes are dissolved, then cover and cook 2-3 minutes until onions are very soft.
      
  3. Add diced tomatoes, salsa and one (1) can of beans to the pot. Stir.
      
  4. Roughly crush the remaining two (2) cans of beans with a potato masher (or your hands). Add to pot and stir to combine thoroughly. Add and mix cumin.
      
  5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
      
  6. Serve piping hot, garnished with a squeeze (or four) of fresh lime juice and a tablespoon of chopped cilantro. A dollop of sour cream isn't awful, either. 
       
Yet another reason to love this soup? It doesn't just taste great in a bowl. Nosiree.

Warm on tacos, burritos or eggs, grilled in quesadillas, as a sauce for chicken or rice, or cold on taco salad.... it's a great addition to any dish in which you'd use salsa and/or beans. It's mellow but rich, and so flavourful it makes just about everything better.

It's the bacon of Mexican soup.

So go ahead: pig out. Because on top of everything else? It's actually pretty good for you, too. Crazy.

NOTES | ONE-POT-WONDER | GLUTEN FREE | KID-FRIENDLY | EASY


Other Foodie Tuesday soup recipes you might like: